Sunday, March 11, 2018

10 most anticipated movies in 2018

By s. Sunday, March 11, 2018
Can you believe it's only 9 months and 20 days left in this year? This Oscar season lasted so damn long it's already 1/4 into 2018. And as great as last year was, this one is shaping up to be amazing too, with my anticipated Annihilation finally dropping on Netflix tomorrow. So what are the other films I am waiting for this year?

Operation Finale / September 21
Sicario 2: Soldado / June 29
Ocean's 8 / June 8
Venom / October 5
Can You Ever Forgive Me? / October 19
The Happytime Murders / August  17
Tully / April 20
Ant-Man and the Wasp / July 6
Widows / November 16

10. Mary Queen of Scots / November 2

Director: Josie Rourke
Cast: Margot Robbie, Saoirse Ronan, Gemma Chan, David Tennant, Guy Pearce
Plot: Mary Stuart's attempt to overthrow her cousin Elizabeth I, Queen of England, finds her condemned to years of imprisonment before facing execution.
Why I'm waiting for it: I always loved historical movies, especially the ones about British monarchy, And it's gonna be fun watching two of this year Best Actress nominees as rivals on the big screen.

9. A Quiet Place / April 6
Director: John Krasinski
Cast: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski, Noah Jupe
Plot: A family lives an isolated existence in utter silence, for fear of an unknown threat that follows and attacks at any sound.
Why I'm waiting for it: The film has terrific premise and just premiered on SXSW festival to amazing reactions. Also John and Emily are probably the most adorable couple in Hollywood so I'm always rooting for them.

8. The Meg / August 10 
Director: Jon Turteltaub
Cast:  Jason Statham, Bingbing Li, Ruby Rose
Plot: After escaping an attack by what he claims was by a 70-foot shark, Jonas Taylor must confront his fears to save those trapped in a sunken submersible.
Why I'm waiting for it: It's Jason Statham fighting a gigantic shark. That's enough.

7.  The Predator / September 14
Director: Shane Black
Cast: Boyd Holbrook, Thomas Jane, Trevante Rhodes, Jacob Tremblay, Sterling K. Brown, Yvonne Strahovski
Plot: A sequel of the 1987 sci-fi film "Predator"
Why I'm waiting for it: Shane Black rarely misses. Also it has Boyd Holbrook running around with big guns.

6. First Man / October 12
Director: Damien Chazelle
Cast: Ryan Gosling, Claire Foy, Jon Bernthal, Kyle Chandler, Jason Clarke
Plot: A look at the life of the astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the Moon on July 20, 1969.
Why I'm waiting for it: It's rumored to be a lot like Whiplash. It's definitely going to be a major Oscar player and the cast is just terrific.

5. Mission: Impossible - Fallout / July 27
Director: Christopher McQuarrie
Cast: Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, Rebecca Ferguson, Vanessa Kirby, Simon Pegg, Angela Bassett
Plot: Ethan Hunt and his IMF team, along with some familiar allies, race against time after a mission gone wrong.
Why I'm waiting for it: That bathroom fight, y'all.

4. Hereditary / June 8 
Director: Ari Aster
Cast: Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Alex Wolff
Plot: When Ellen, the matriarch of the Graham family, passes away, her daughter's family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry. The more they discover, the more they find themselves trying to outrun the sinister fate they seem to have inherited as it slowly destroys everything they know.
Why I'm waiting for it: The buzz from Sundance is insane, same as the first trailer for the film.

3. Backseat / December 14
Director: Adam McKay
Cast Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Sam Rockwell, Amy Adams, Tyler Perry
Plot: The story of Dick Cheney, the most powerful Vice President in history, and how his policies changed the world as we know it.
Why I'm waiting for it: Sam Rockwell as George W. Bush is enough but The Big Short was one of my favorite movies of the last few years. Also the film allegedly has a musical sequence and it's probably the only musical sequence I was ever excited for.

2. The Nun / September 7
Director: Corin Hardy
Cast: Demián Bichir, Taissa Farmiga, Bonnie Aarons, Charlotte Hope
Plot: A priest named Father Burke is sent to Rome to investigate the mysterious death of a nun. 
Why I'm waiting for it: I love Conjuring films and the character of the Nun (played by the same actress who plays the bum in Mulholland Drive, by the way) was absolutely terrifying. Also I love Taissa and I'm curious how the director does here, considering he is making The Crow remake next - Jason is in it, so naturally I cannot wait for it.

1. Aquaman / December 21
Director: James Wan
Cast: Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Patrick Wilson, Nicole Kidman, Willem Dafoe
Plot: Arthur Curry learns that he is the heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, and must step forward to lead his people and to be a hero to the world.
Why I'm waiting for it: I cannot wait to become the first woman in history to become pregnant simply from watching a movie. To be honest I'm almost there just from looking at that still above.

34 comments:

  1. I will not see TOM CRUISE.... BLAH-BLAH-BLAH does BOO-BAH, BOO-BAH and then goes KWAPLA! and OOGA-OOGA! That's all he fucking does now and they've become very boring. And now there's that rumor of him being Green Lantern..... AW FUCK NO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think Cruise is quite a reliable actor. He also seems very professional which is appreciated considering what other actors in Hollywood are doing

      Delete
    2. Like the fact that he'll crash a premiere and steal the attention from other actors or the fact that he's stupid enough to do stunts and injure himself when there's other people that can do it for him and not put himself and others in danger?

      Delete
    3. That's just stupid - other famous actors 'steal' attention too? And you know the actor doing his own stunts actually helps with stuff and there is no need to mask it with CGI or trickery.

      Delete
  2. Aquaman comes out in DECEMBER?! I thought it'll be released earlier :( Looking forward to some of the films on this list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! It's torture. Keeping that magnificent guy away from big screen for so long.

      Delete
  3. A few of these are on my must see list too! Mary, Queen of of Scots, A Quiet Place, Backseat and Hereditary.

    Is it too early to hope for another Saoirse and Margot pair of Oscar noms? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be pretty cool if that happened, but let's hope the movie is not "The Other Boleyn Girl" 2.0

      Delete
  4. Those all look like good movies. I'm waiting for them also. Didn't realize Aquaman was coming out so late, though. For what it's worth I am also looking forward to Solo, as well. Sorry, I'm a sucker for that franchise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely see Solo but it's not like I'm waiting for it, I'm more curious how they will do. But I generally like Ron Howard's films, Frost/Nixon is even in my all time fav top 20, so I'm optimistic

      Delete
  5. As always, you get me onto films I'd probably never have come across. Thanks for consistently doing that!! All the way back to The Witch and Neon Demon. And before!

    I can already tell Sicario 2 will blow. Director director and no Taylor SHeridan. Whats the point??

    And YAY for Annihilation coming soon!! Ohhhh god I cannot wait for that!!!

    Will be keeping an eye out for the rest of your list =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read some screening reactions from Sicario 2 and they were actually quite encouraging!

      Delete
    2. Oh really?? Hmmm sounds interesting, though I still think it is pointless. And if it doesn't have Deakins its gonna look like a completely disconnect from the first.

      Delete
    3. Eh, it looks fine. Kinda Logan-esque story wise

      Delete
  6. I'm glad noone was in the room when I read that bit about aquaman, pure gold! lots of movies I haven't had on my radar yet, backseat cast sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because it's true :D I fear for my health.

      Delete
  7. If I say I'm in for all of these, how pissed will you be when I only see like four of them? Actually, seeing movies in the theaters (especially during the summer...which is when only two of them come out, but still) is easy-peasy, so I'm telling you...I got a shot at this.

    If I had to pick from this list, my number one might be The Predator. Not only is it released on my birthday (yay, 39...), but that cast is f--king fantastic, too. Black is pretty much a sure thing, right?

    But you and I both know...The Meg is where it's at. You had my heart at Statham. You had my pants at 70 FOOT SHARK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four of them would still be an accomplishment :)

      Oh, hey, I finally know when your birthday is! But wtf Aquaman not being number 1, what heresy is this

      That is gonna be so rad. I hope he punches that shark in the face

      Delete
    2. Fingers crossed it's a roundhouse kick.

      Oh, right. WaterGuy. Totally stoked for that film.

      (uhh...who's in that one again? Jayson Momoa, right?)

      Delete
    3. I will seriously hurt you :D

      Delete
  8. Great list! I’m excited for these too. I’m happy A Quiet Place is getting good reviews out of SXSW. Wasn’t sure about that one. The Meg sounds insane!

    Definitely curious about First Man as well, and I’m always ready for a new, great horror film like Hereditary is supposed to be.

    And that bathroom scene in the Fallout trailer looks pretty damn rad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hereditary is getting such insane buzz. The trailer alone was very scary but the film is apparently absolutely terrifying

      Delete
  9. Yes to everything, 9, 8, 6, 5 and 3 are definitely a must for me. I haven't even thought about what movies I look forward to but I thinkVenom would be higher on my list but I'm scared for it. Though not scared of how Hardy will do, he is a brilliant actor and I'm sure he will have fun with this role!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That trailer was just so underwhelming, if it wasn't for Hardy I wouldn't look forward to it at all

      Delete
  10. Thanks to your blog, added Hereditary to my list, the trailer is amazing. As for Tully, I'm hesitant based on the promo, but sometimes those can fool you!

    Must-see 2018 films, I have two: The House That Jack Built (Lars von Trier) & The Souvenir: Part I (Joanna Hogg). I saw Annihilation this week and enjoyed. I have high hopes for First Reformed (out in the summer in US) based on early reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not watching von Trier movie unless someone pays me to :) Actually not even in this case. That guy is sick.

      Delete
  11. I dunno if it's oversaturation, or 2017 was just such a weak year for movies that it really killed my enthusiasm, but I've found that there's very little I'm especially hyped for in this coming year. Aquaman is certainly up there, sure, as well as Venom, though those are mostly out of curiosity. And A Quiet Place looks like it could be interesting, of what you've listed here. But I dunno, hopefully this year has a few surprises up its sleeve that'll turn me around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such a shame Aquaman is so far away. I want it NOW! And hopefully Wan and Jason will fight off those insane WB execs.

      Delete
  12. Great list! There's definitely a lot of good picks here that I'm excited for too - Mission Impossible, Aquaman, Mary Queen of Scots. No reason to explain why I'm excited for First Man. lol And, damn I didn't know John directed A Quiet Place. The silent trailer was creepy as hell. Satan better not touch John and Emma's relationship. They must live happily ever after. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cute and they both seem like such nice, friendly people. And i love how John worships her

      Delete
  13. I... ummmm... am not going to survive that bathroom fight between Cavill and Cruise if Cavill loses that tiny Scientologist shit (which he inevitably will). My apologies to Jason and Aquaman (since I couldn't bear to touch Justice League with a hundred-foot pole).

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did I miss this post!? I completely forgot about #6...but now I'm pumped up again for that one! And your #1 was totally obvious ;) I knew that'd be top spot on this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #6 is gonna be a major player in Oscar season

      Delete